Sunday, October 7, 2007

Countdown to Take Off Time!!!

Hello All!
In less than a week, I will be heading off for an adventure with my best friend, and hopefully still best friend by the end of the two months, Meghan in Kenya and Uganda, and then a week in Paris. We've got all the major things taken care of, namely health insurance, innoculations against various diseases, and most of our flights, but due to our adventurous nature (/med schools keeping me busy jumping through hoops) there is still much to be decided. In fact, a lot of what we'll be doing is decided after our arrival. Global Volunteer Network is the program we're going through, and they like to get to know you and your strengths before they pick who does what..however, I copied and pasted a portion of the email they sent me to give a rough idea of what we'll be up to:

(and also copied these pictures that other people have taken while volunteering there)





Chronic underdevelopment in Uganda is a problem not easily solved. Remote rural living, the HIV/AIDS epidemic, a subsistence economy, loss of hope, and lack of services helps to keep many orphaned children, and their extended families, dependent upon hand-outs, malnourished, and uneducated. Currently, there is no real way to generate funds at the village level to support anything other than subsistence living. Therefore, YOFAFO has developed relationships with local communities to help provide start-up funds, knowledge, and motivation all necessary to solve their respective problems in a sustainable way.


For example, at the village of Bugiri, YOFAFO has a primary school for local children. An orphanage will provide a home to 30 of the most destitute children (which may or may not be complete by November!). A school farm provides training in modern commercial agriculture. After completion of school, graduates receive vocational training in farming and animal husbandry, thereby imparting knowledge and providing a food supply for the school. In order to support orphans’ extended family network YOFAFO offers training in handicrafts marketing, tailoring, carpentry and mechanics. Through these and various other community projects, local adults are able to generate income on their own, resulting in a diminishing need for outside help.




GVN volunteers complement local staff, and provide cultural exchange and life skills to the children, youth and adults. Their presence and care not only build self-worth and confidence, but give the kids a chance to have a bit of fun and express their creativity through sports and art programs. I’m sure your experience as a child mentor and elementary school tutor will really benefit local communities (expect to speak at many engagements during your stay). It may seem daunting, but even the simplest messages are very effective here. Imagine a society where children are never encouraged, never told they can achieve good things. Basic information on hygiene, nutrition, etc. is just not passed on from mother to child as in our culture.



In stark contrast, our time in Paris will be mostly spent indulging in trips to museums, taking a peek at all the paintings we didn't get to see in Italy.... and probably seriously enjoying eating something other than mashed plantain and matooke (mashed unripened bananas) .



Thanks to info and donations from people I've met while serving this summer at the Gables, as well as a bunch of handy books and tips from my aunt Mary, I feel like I'm going into this at least a little prepared, but I am sure that there will be a few shocks along the way.


I'm hoping I'll be able to post regularly - ideally I'll be able to upload some photographs as well but I hear that the connections can be painfully slow so we'll see!


I'm so excited to get this journey started, but am getting a bit misty-eyed at the thought of leaving St. Andrews and all of the people in it... as well as my family and friends in Moncton and Sackville. I think I may also miss the 10 inches of hair I'm cutting off on Tuesday, but it will likely make things easier for me.
Well, I better get back to stocking up on nutrients (/eating my gram's delicious thanksgiving food)...


I will try to post a blog as soon as I land in Kenya, so there should be a new one around the 15th of October or so.


Thanks for taking an interest in my adventure!


~Julia

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Jules. It's good to have a way to keep in touch. Bon Voyage,
Love,
YOSM

Richard said...

Hi Julia,
This is Richard testing his legendary computer smarts to see if he can get a comment through, thus assuring I will be able to keep in touch. In the (unlikely) event that this actually gets through, please know that I am wishing you the best and hope that the trip was pleasant. Good Luck, Richard

Unknown said...

Juuliaaa omg I can't believe that you WENT to KENYA. You are so brave!

Unknown said...

Your blog is great, you really know how to write as my grade 11 english teacher would attest to if she knew the truth about a particular essay.... aha... everything sounds awesome... Reading the blog was by far the best part of my day as i've started a new job and mindlessly sit in front of a computer plugging numbers in. I was not jealous at all until I read your blogs now i wish I was there! Take care and I'm looking forward to reading more! Take care Julia,
Kyle